The influenza virus is a highly transmissible and rapidly evolving virus that can cause symptoms ranging from mild respiratory distress to severe pneumonia, sometimes leading to death in humans. Researchers are constantly working to develop new vaccines for seasonal and pandemic strains, including a universal influenza vaccine, and improved antiviral therapies.
IITRI is a leading CRO provider of preclinical and biodefense programs to support the development of vaccines and antiviral therapeutics targeting influenza. We additionally offer Biosafety Level 2 and Biosafety Level 3 facilities for studies with high-path inluenza strains, including GLP-compliant studies for IND- or NDA submissions.
Ferret Influenza Model
The ferret animal model is ideal for influenza studies due to the ferret’s natural susceptibility to infection with human influenza A and B viruses, and similar clinical symptoms in response to infection. Ferrets also have similar lung physiology compared to humans, and can transmit human seasonal and pandemic influenza viruses to naïve animals. Ferret animal models are most frequently used for influenza studies at IITRI, although mice, pigs, and non-human primates are also utilized for preliminary studies (mice) or human-like immunogenicity studies (non-human primates). We uniquely offer infection by bioaerosol generation (inhalation) as well as intranasal.
We work with the latest influenza strains including:
- Seasonal influenza viruses
- Highly pathogenic avian influenza viruses
- Low pathogenic avian influenza viruses
- Novel influenza virus strains
- Antiviral resistant influenza strains
Preclinical influenza programs at IITRI include efficacy and safety assessment of vaccines and antivirals for IND and NDA submissions.
- Immunogenicity, efficacy and safety assessment of vaccines and antivirals
- Transmission model testing
- Antiviral resistance
- Pathogenesis testing
In vitro Studies and Bioanalytical
These in vitro Immunological assays and bioanalytical supporting services are offered at IITRI:
- Immunological assays
- Hemagglutination inhibition assays
- Virus neutralization assays and automated microneutralization assays
- Flow cytometry analysis
- Molecular biology analysis
- Stability and release testing
- Clinical trial support
IThe IITRI Advantage
- Direct partnership with PhD-level study directors
- Scientific team from a broad range of disciplines including virology, microbiology, immunology, molecular biology and toxicology
- BSL-2/3 labs and vivarium
- Personalized study design
- Comprehensive nonclinical testing programs to support IND and NDA submissions
Contact Us to learn more about our influenza study capabilities