Covid-19 assays and studies
We are ready to answer your questions and provide guidance.
covid-19 ASSAYS and studies
IITRI can perform the following COVID-19 assays and studies under BSL-3 using SARS-CoV-2 (wildtype USA-WA1/2020).
In vitro assays
Efficacy assay (Immunostain)
– Efficacy assay using either Vero E6 or Calu-3 cells
– Looks at 50% effective concentration (EC50) of the drug against SARS-CoV-2.
Neutralization assays (PRNT, ELISA)
SARS-CoV-2 48hr neutralization assays for antibodies to determine reduction of plaques and viral measurements.
– Plaques are visualized and counted using an ELISPOT instrument
– Plaque counts are fitted to a dose-response curve and plaque reduction neutralization test titers (PRNT) expressed in terms of conventional 50% PRNT end-point titers.
– For each well, the inhibition of virus by neutralizing antibodies is calculated as the percentage of reduction of the absorbance value in respect of the virus control
– The neutralizing antibody titer is defined as the reciprocal dilution that caused 50% reduction of the absorbance value of the virus control (50% A450 reduction)
In vivo studies
– Clinical signs such as body weight loss, although no mortality
– Viral load in nasal washes and blood
– Routes of dosage admin include intranasal, inhaled (inhalation), and intraperitoneal
-Virus detection in various tissues
References for this model: iitri.org/covid-19-syrian-hamster-model/
– Favorable model for looking at effects solely in upper respiratory tract
– Infection model only, no clinical signs
– Viral load and shedding in nasal washes
– Routes of dosage admin include intranasal, intraperitoneal, inhaled (inhalation), and intravenous
References for this model: IITRI ferret studies
Transgenic mouse model
– K18-hACE2 transgenic mouse model
Clinical signs such as body weight loss, mortality
– Viral load in nasal washes
Dose range-finding data for the hACE2- transgenic mouse model
IITRI has established itself as a leading COVID-19 CRO and due to the importance for this testing during the pandemic, has made provisions to turn these assays and studies around rapidly. Other related capabilities include a BSL-3/ABSL-3 aerobiology environment for aerosol challenge studies.
Contact us for more detailed information, to discuss with a PhD study director or request a cost estimate.