Covid-19 assays and studies
We are ready to answer your questions and provide guidance.
covid-19 ASSAYS and studies
IITRI can perform the following COVID-19 assays and studies under BSL-3 using SARS-CoV-2 (wildtype USA-WA1/2020).
In vitro assays
Efficacy assay (CPE)
– Efficacy assay for antivirals in cell culture (Vero typically)
– Cells are infected with the SARS-CoV-2 virus in 96 well plates and 50% are treated with your test article at various concentrations
– Looking at cytopathic effect (CPE), cell survival endpoints EC50 and TC50
Neutralization assays (PRNT, ELISA)
SARS-CoV-2 48hr neutralization assays for antibodies to determine reduction of plaques and viral measurements.
– Plaques are visualized and counted using an ELISPOT instrument
– Plaque counts are fitted to a dose-response curve and plaque reduction neutralization test titers (PRNT) expressed in terms of conventional 50% PRNT end-point titers.
– For each well, the inhibition of virus by neutralizing antibodies is calculated as the percentage of reduction of the absorbance value in respect of the virus control
– The neutralizing antibody titer is defined as the reciprocal dilution that caused 50% reduction of the absorbance value of the virus control (50% A450 reduction)
Viral inactivation studies (Time-kill)
– Testing of surface disinfectant sprays and sanitizers against the SARS-CoV-2 strain
– Porous and non-porous material capabilities
– Testing of products against SARS-CoV-2 in suspension
Based on modified/standard industry protocols (see below)
In vivo studies
Syrian hamster model
– Clinical signs, changes in body weight
– Viral load in nasal washes and blood
– Histopathology results show effects in lungs and brain (other organs for necropsy possible)
– Multiple routes of administration are available for your test article
-Click here for more details on this model!
– Infection model, no clinical signs
– Viral load and shedding in nasal washes
– Intranasal, inhaled (inhalation) and other routes of administration are offered for dosing your test article
References for this model: IITRI ferret studies
hACE2- transgenic mouse model (currently in development)
IITRI has established itself as a leading COVID-19 CRO and due to the importance for this testing during the pandemic, has made provisions to turn these assays and studies around rapidly.
Contact us for more detailed information, to discuss with a PhD study director or request a cost estimate.