COVID-19 Syrian hamster model
We are ready to answer your questions and provide guidance.
covid-19 Syrian hamster model
IITRI has developed a robust model for COVID-19 using the Syrian (golden) hamster.
Below is a basic study description and design, although IITRI can provide specialized study designs based on your needs. Contact us today to learn more and discuss how we can partner for SARS-CoV-2 animal studies.
|Species Information||Syrian Hamster (~5-6 weeks at challenge)|
|Study Duration||Sponsor dependent (14+ normal)|
|Challenge Dosage and Strains||
Aerosol, PO, IN, SC (inquire about others)
– General clinical observations
– Body Weight
– Viral load in nasal washes (TCID50 for live virus, SARS-CoV-2-specific RTqPCR)
– Tissue viral burden by TCID50 and/or RT-qPCR
– Necropsy for histopathology of tissues, to be evaluated with standard H.E. staining
– Neutralizing antibody titer
– Cytokine expression by RT-qPCR
Read more about the SARS-CoV-2 Syrian hamster model below:
– Simulation of the clinical and pathological manifestations of Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19) in golden Syrian hamster model: implications for disease pathogenesis and transmissibility (Clinical Infectious Diseases 03/2020)