COVID-19 Syrian hamster model
We are ready to answer your questions and provide guidance.
covid-19 Syrian hamster model
IITRI has developed a robust model for COVID-19 using the Syrian (golden) hamster.
Below is a basic study description and design, although IITRI can provide specialized study designs based on your needs. Contact us today to learn more and discuss how we can partner for SARS-CoV-2 animal studies.
|Species Information||Syrian Hamster (~5-6 weeks at challenge)|
|Study Duration||14 days+|
|Challenge Dosage and Strain||
Intranasal (25 μl / nare) at 5 x 10^4; USA-WA1/2020 (SARS-CoV-2)
|Drug administration||Aerosol, oral (inquire about others)|
– General clinical observations
– Viral load in nasal wash (Confirmed with RT-PCR)
– Viral load in blood (Confirmed with RT-PCR)
– At necropsy macroscopic inspection of lungs with regard to focal darkened areas
– On Day 3: Necropsy for virus detection in blood and tissue homogenates, brain, trachea, lungs (upper, middle lower lobes), kidney, jejunum, ileum; confirmed with RT-PCR
– On Day 14: Necropsy for histopathology of nasal turbinate (breakdown of the mucosal barrier and infiltration of inflammatory cells), lungs (interstitial pneumonia, infiltration of inflammatory cells, mucus and neutrophils in bronchioles), GI-tract (jejunum, ileum, colon), kidney; all tissues will be evaluated with standard H.E. staining
Read more about the SARS-CoV-2 Syrian hamster model below:
– Simulation of the clinical and pathological manifestations of Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19) in golden Syrian hamster model: implications for disease pathogenesis and transmissibility (Clinical Infectious Diseases 03/2020)