IITRI is a leading CRO provider of influenza vaccine and antiviral preclinical development programs to support government and commercial sponsors. We offer mouse and ferret influenza studies to evaluate the efficacy of vaccines, adjuvants and antiviral agents for prevention or treatment of seasonal, avian, antiviral-resistant, and novel variant influenza strains.
Additionally, we offer Biosafety Level 2 and Biosafety Level 3 facilities for in vitro and in vivo studies with high-path influenza strains, including GLP-compliant studies for IND or NDA submissions and for Animal Rule compliance. Our BSL-3 space offers aerosol generation for viral infection or for the administration of therapeutics by the inhalation route.
Ferret Influenza Studies
The ferret is generally considered to be the ideal animal model for influenza studies due to the ferret’s natural susceptibility to infection with human influenza A and B viruses, and its similarity to humans in progression of clinical symptoms in response to infection. Ferrets also have comparable lung physiology, and can transmit human seasonal and pandemic influenza viruses to naïve animals. Although ferret influenza studies are most frequently conducted at IITRI, mice, pigs, and non-human primates (NHPs) are also utilized as animal models for efficacy, immunogenicity, and safety studies. In addition to intranasal infection, we uniquely offer infection by bioaerosol generation (inhalation) to mimic the natural viral transmission.
We work with the latest influenza strains including:
- Seasonal influenza viruses (H1N1, H3N2, Influenza B)
- Highly pathogenic and low-pathogenic avian influenza viruses (H5N1, H7N9)
- Novel influenza virus strains
- Antiviral resistant influenza strains
IITRI offers comprehensive preclinical services for vaccine and therapeutics development.
- Efficacy assessment of vaccines and antivirals
- Transmission model testing
- Antiviral resistance
- Immunogenicity, toxicology, and safety studies (GLP-compliant)
In vitro Studies and Bioanalytical
A complete selection of in vitro Immunological assays and bioanalytical supporting services are available, including:
- Immunological assays
- Hemagglutination inhibition assays (HAI)
- Virus neutralization assays and automated microneutralization assays
- Immunophenotyping with flow cytometry analysis
- Stability and release manufacturing batch testing
- Clinical trial support
The IITRI Advantage
- Direct partnership with PhD-level study directors
- Scientific team from a broad range of disciplines including virology, microbiology, immunology, molecular biology and toxicology
- BSL-2/3 labs and vivarium
- Personalized study design
- Comprehensive nonclinical testing programs to support IND and NDA submissions
Contact Us to learn more about our influenza study capabilities