IITRI is a leading commercial provider of influenza studies for vaccine and antiviral preclinical development to support government and commercial sponsors. We offer mouse and ferret influenza models to evaluate the efficacy of vaccines, adjuvants and antiviral agents for prevention or treatment of seasonal, avian, antiviral-resistant, and novel variant influenza strains.
Additionally, we offer Biosafety Level 2 and Biosafety Level 3 facilities for in vitro and in vivo studies with high-path influenza strains, including GLP-compliant studies for IND or NDA submissions and for Animal Rule compliance. Our BSL-3 space offers aerosol generation for viral infection or for the administration of therapeutics by the inhalation route.
The ferret model is generally considered to be ideal for influenza studies due to the ferret’s natural susceptibility to infection with human influenza A and B viruses, and its similarity to humans in progression of clinical symptoms in response to infection. Ferrets also have comparable lung physiology, and can transmit human seasonal and pandemic influenza viruses to naïve animals. Although ferret influenza studies are most frequently conducted at IITRI, mice, pigs, and non-human primates (NHPs) are also utilized as influenza animal models for the assessment of efficacy, immunogenicity, and safety of vaccines. In addition to intranasal infection, we uniquely offer infection by aerosol challenge (inhalation) to mimic the natural viral transmission.
We work with the latest influenza strains including:
- Seasonal influenza viruses (H1N1, H3N2, Influenza B)
- Highly pathogenic and low-pathogenic avian influenza viruses (H5N1, H7N9)
- Novel influenza virus strains
- Antiviral resistant influenza strains
IITRI offers comprehensive preclinical services for vaccine and therapeutics development.
- Efficacy assessment of vaccines and antivirals
- Transmission model testing
- Antiviral resistance
- Immunogenicity, toxicology, and safety studies (GLP-compliant)
In vitro Studies and Bioanalytical
A complete selection of in vitro Immunological assays and bioanalytical supporting services are available, including:
- Immunological assays
- Hemagglutination inhibition assays (HAI)
- Virus neutralization assays and automated microneutralization assays
- Immunophenotyping with flow cytometry analysis
- Stability and release manufacturing batch testing
- Clinical trial support
The IITRI Advantage
- Scientific team and PhD study directors from a broad range of disciplines including virology, microbiology, immunology, molecular biology and toxicology
- BSL-2/3 labs and vivarium
- Personalized study design
- Influenza vaccine research studies through GLP toxicology studies for regulatory submissions