COVID-19 ferret model
We are ready to answer your questions and provide guidance.
covid-19 Ferret model
IITRI offers a ferret model for COVID-19 which is a robust choice for studies focused on upper respiratory effects. We have extensive experience in using ferrets for influenza studies as well.
Below is a basic study description and design, although IITRI can provide specialized study designs based on your needs. Contact us today to learn more and discuss how we can partner for SARS-CoV-2 animal studies.
|Study Duration||Sponsor dependent (7-14+ typical)|
|Challenge Dosage and Strains||
Aerosol, PO, IN, SC, IV (inquire about others)
– General clinical observations
– Body Weight
– Viral load in nasal washes (TCID50 for live virus, SARS-CoV-2-specific RTqPCR)
– Tissue viral burden by TCID50 and/or RT-qPCR
– Histopathology of tissues, to be evaluated with standard H.E. staining
– Neutralizing antibody titer
– Cytokine expression by RT-qPCR (ELISA reagents for ferrets are very limited)
Read more about the SARS-CoV-2 ferret model below: